Life is one big fiesta… why not eat like it?
Hello! How was your weekend? Ours was HOT and BUSY! Ben and I were teaching at a weekend seminar for our church’s Preparing for Marriage ministry. We met so many cool couples and had lots to talk about! In other news, I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with the victims and families of the shooting in Orlando… what a terribly hideous side of human nature. Praying that the Lord redeems every ounce of evil in this tragedy and uses it to bring this country closer to Himself.
Today I was craving Mexican.
I don’t know why, because I’ve had Mexican literally the last three days in a row. And all.the.chips. But who doesn’t love a good healthy Mexican salad?
Always down for that.
This fiesta bowl is a perfect meatless meal for Monday. I used a blend of quinoa, farro, and lentils cooked al dente and tossed with zucchini, bell pepper, red onion, and lots of canned things. Plus some fresh lemon and Mexican spices and cilantro. (I swear if any of you ever use that taco seasoning that comes in a packet I will hunt you down.)
You could serve this on its own (I like mine topped with a poached egg or some tofu, over spinach), or as a side dish with a non-vegetarian protein. Ben had it with a few slices of turkey meatloaf pizza I made earlier.
- ½ cup each quinoa, farro, and lentils
- 3½ cups water
- 2 zucchini, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 can each pinto and black beans, rinsed/drained
- 1 can corn, rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp each cumin, coriander, garlic powder
- ½ tsp each chili powder and paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped roughly
- In a large saucepan, combine grains and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining vegetables and spices.
- Drizzle in lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add the quinoa, farro, and lentil blend and toss to combine.
- Top with cilantro and additional salt and pepper to taste!
- Serve over greens or crusty bread, with protein of your choice!
Happy fiesta week!