Last winter I was inspired by a slow-cooker recipe from Daphne Oz on abc.com’s The Chew (which also happens to be my favorite show and I never miss an episode!) which featured baked beans and sweet potatoes. Three of my absolute favorite things in one dish: baked beans, sweet potatoes, and a slow-cooker. Um, yes please?
I adapted Daphne’s original recipe due to not having some of the ingredients and wanting to make a vegetarian version. I added a few extra spices and veggies, adjusted some of the amounts, and used butternut squash cubes (despite my love for sweet potatoes). But I LOVED the idea of adding molasses and tomato paste with the navy beans to make a sort of “deconstructed baked bean” stew. Perfect for a crisp fall day! I stirred in some seasonal baby kale, prepared tofu cubes, and served with crusty bread for dipping up all the extra juice.
I was recently approached by an associate producer of The Chew who saw my instagram post featuring this recipe with #YouOnTheChew a few months ago. She asked for me to send the recipe so they could recreate it for their hosts and possibly feature it on the show! The only problem is that I never wrote down the recipe! I had meant to, and even took pictures and everything, but could not for the life of me find a record of what I actually did.
So I recreated it today- hopefully it is similar to the original! And thanks again to Daphne for the inspiration!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup sliced yellow onions
- ½ cup frozen red and yellow peppers (I used Trader Joe's fire-roasted blend)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp each paprika and parsley
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash (about ½" cubes)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3-5 cups chopped baby kale
- 1 cup tofu cubes (about ½" cubes) (optional)
- freshly squeezed lemon juice, for serving (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crusty bread (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add garlic, onions, and peppers and cook until tender, about 3-4 mins. Stir in tomato paste and mustard.
- Add vinegar to pan to deglaze, then transfer entire mixture to slow-cooker.
- Combine remaining ingredients (molasses through vegetable broth) and set slow cooker to low heat for 4-6 hours, or until squash is tender.
- Just before serving, stir in the kale and tofu (if using).
- Garnish with fresh parsley, parmesan cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve with crusty bread for dipping!