It’s hard to believe that August is almost over, which means that my news feed is already filled with back-to-school ads and tips for getting back into a fall routine.
While Ben and I don’t have any school-aged kids yet, this time of year always feels a bit nostalgic to me. I LIVED for school supplies shopping and getting a new pair of Sambas. I remember my grandma used to take us B2S clothes shopping and we were allowed to buy a whole outfit. I felt so cool in my flared Gap jeans and patterned socks.
This year, though, I’m hanging onto summer for as long as possible. Maybe I’m trying to bottle up the remaining bits of sunshine, pool-lounging, and popsicle-making before life completely changes for us this fall. Come November, I know that I’ll look back and miss these quiet, sunny weekends!
In anticipation of Baby McCormick, I’ve also been on the hunt for a few more easy, make-ahead recipes that take advantage of farmers’ market produce but that can also be adapted for the cooler months. I love this Greek Salad recipe because it is so simple. With quality ingredients, they really do their own thing!
I recently restocked my spice drawer and picked up a new-to-me blend called “El Greco” from one of my favorite shops in Seattle, World Spice Merchants. El Greco is blended from oregano, sumac, basil, garlic, and lemon peel. I love it so much I’ve just about been putting it in my cereal. Without a greek spice blend, you could also just sub 1/2 tsp each oregano, sumac (if you have it), basil, and garlic powder.
We usually let this salad sit overnight in the fridge before tossing it and serving with pita and hummus. A few times I’ve marinated some chicken in the same spices with a little olive oil, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar.
If it gets really juicy, you can throw in a bit of cooked quinoa. But pita is still non-negotiable. Recipe is below!
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced into small wedges
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1 block feta (not pre-crumbled)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsp “El Greco” greek blend (see above), OR 1/2 tsp each oregano, basil, and sumac
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk well.
- Slice feta into 1/8″ blocks and add to the bowl.
- Gently toss in all other ingredients.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with pita and hummus, or other protein of your choice!
- Note: For marinated chicken, prepare double the dressing amount and marinate 3-4 chicken breasts in a few tbsp dressing overnight. Then grill, sauté or bake as desired!