Stuffed Tomatoes with Tuna and Spring Peas
Recipe Type: Dinner
Cuisine: Mediterranean, Healthy, Spring
Here’s an easy, portion-friendly supper that’s perfect for a spring evening! You probably already have all the fixings for it in your house right now and don’t even realize it! Serve over brown rice, or with a nice hunk of pita!
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cans albacore tuna, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- ~ 1 tsp Greek seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp truffle oil, for drizzling (optional)
- pinch of truffle salt (optional)
- spinach, for serving
- brown rice, for serving (optional)
- pita, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 deg.
- With a serrated knife, slice of tops of tomatoes (about 1/4″ down from the stem). Set tops aside and carefully spoon out the inside of the tomatoes (I saved the insides for making gazpacho this weekend!)
- Add about 1/2 tsp lemon juice to each tomato, swirling it around in the inside of the fruit to coat all surfaces. Turn upside down on a paper towel and drain for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions, sautéing until soft- about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine tuna, peas, cottage cheese, and all seasonings. Mix to combine.
- When tomatoes are drained, fill each with a few spoonfuls of the filling. Top with about 1/4 tbsp Panko and feta cheese.
- Cover loosely with tin foil and place on a baking sheet with tops next to them (not on top, so that feta will melt!). Roast, covered, 25 minutes, until soft and fragrant.
- Uncover and increase heat to 350 deg. Bake an additional 10 minutes until cheese is browned. If necessary, broil on high for 2 additional minutes.
- Immediately after taking out of the oven, drizzle with a tiny bit of truffle oil and truffle salt (it goes a long way!).
- Serve over cooked brown rice or pita, with spinach salad on the side. (I also drizzled a bit of balsamic reduction over top! Yum!)