Mediterranean Barley Power Salad with Cucumber Lemon Marinade
Recipe Type: Salad, Healthy
Cuisine: Mediterranean, Vegetarian
Perfect for Meatless Monday! And vegan, too!
- 2 cups cooked pearl barley, cooled
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped roughly
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped roughly
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped roughly
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped roughly
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- juice of one lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried dill (or 1 bunch fresh! I didn’t have fresh on hand, unfortunately)
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley (or 1 bunch fresh)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- spinach, for serving
- fried egg, for topping
- Plain Greek yogurt, for topping
- frozen pomegranate seeds, for topping
- parmesan or feta cheese, for topping
- Prepare bulgur according to package directions (I used my rice cooker!) and cool.
- Chop up the red onion and green onion and add to a bowl of ice water (this helps take out the “bite” from the onion!).
- Chop the veggies, herbs, and all spices and add to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the garbanzo beans.
- Mix in cooled bulgur.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil and stir until well coated.
- Drain onions and add to mixture.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve over spinach and top with a fried egg, plain Greek yogurt, parmesan or feta cheese, and a handful of pomegranate seeds!