Chicken Mole Corncake with Fried Plantains
Recipe Type: Casserole, Chicken
Here’s a fun twist on a classic Mexican dish! Top a regular cornbread mixture with some mole-seasoned chicken and top with fried onions and plantains. An easy supper that’s hearty and exotic! Serve with a freshly sliced peach and side salad.
- 1 box Trader Joe’s Corn Muffin Mix and package ingredients (mine called for 1 egg, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 3/4 cup milk)
- 1 tbsp mole seasoning (if you don’t have mole seasoning, combine 1 tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus additional for pan
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ripe plantain, sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar
- fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- Grease a 8×8 casserole dish.
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions and pour into bottom of dish.
- In a large ziplock bag, combine all ingredients from mole seasoning to olive oil. Shake bag to mix. Add chicken and marinate at least 30 minutes.
- In a saute pan, heat more olive oil on medium-high. Add garlic and onions and continue to cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add plantain slices and fry (add more oil if you need to) until lightly browned and fragrant, flipping halfway through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, cook chicken until just browned- about 1 min each side.
- Top cornbread with chicken, pressing gently down into the mixture.
- Return onions and plantains to pan, scraping up the browned bits from bottom. Add to top of chicken.
- Sprinkle cheese and parsley on top of casserole, cover and bake 35-40 minutes, until cornbread is brown around the edges.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.