Have you ever Spiralized? (Yes, I just used “spiralize” as a verb). It will literally change your life forever. I got a Spiralizer for Christmas from my mother-in-law and I could not be happier! For those of you who don’t know, a Spiralizer is this really cool contraption that you can use to make “noodles” out of regular vegetables and fruits. Zucchini is the classic “beginner’s” veggie to use (have you seen meatballs over zucchini spaghetti?) but you can also use carrots, broccoli, beets, radishes, sweet potatoes, apples, etc. The options are limitless! And all those colors? I can’t even. They don’t lie when they saw we eat with our eyes!
I decided to try out my new gadget tonight for a healthy, veggie-packed carbonara (read: fried egg on top) and a spicy mustard sauce. It was a hit!
- 4 carrots
- 2-3 stalks broccoli (from one head)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp whole grain dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 cups packed kale, torn into pieces (I leave the stems in!)
- 2 eggs (1 per serving)
- Parmesan cheese, optional (for topping)
- Spiralize carrots and broccoli stalks using blade C (the shredder), tearing apart the spirals every few turns (otherwise you’ll get a never-ending broodle/coodle!). Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, red pepper flakes. Cook 3 minutes or until soft. Add mushrooms and stir continuously for 1 more minute, making sure to scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove the onion mixture from the skillet and set aside.
- Whisk together mustard, pepper, broth, vinegar, and water.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Pour the sauce in the skillet and wait until it bubbles. Reduce heat to low and add the carrots and broccoli spirals.
- Cook 3-4 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Reduce heat to low and add kale. Cook until wilted.
- Meanwhile, cook eggs on low heat until set (I like my yolks a bit runny, but feel free to cook as you like!)
- Serve kale and veggie spirals with fried egg and parmesan cheese on top, if desired. Drizzle a bit of the extra sauce in the bottom of the skillet, too!