Happy Snow Day! Again! Geez Louise, NC doesn’t know what to do with itself with all this snow! Just when the snow from Tuesday had melted away, we were hit with another good 6 inches of wet snow. Read: enough to close down the entire state for like, a week, and to cancel school for the eight day in the past two weeks.
With the extra time this morning, I decided to do a little recipe development. Honey Almond Pistachio Butter! I love the combo of almonds and pistachios, and I’ve been on a big almond butter kick lately. I like how it’s not too sweet (I’ve been buying the little packages of Justin’s Classic Almond Butter and adding it to oatmeal, plain yogurt, and cereal) but still nutty and creamy. I’ve also been meaning to make my own nut butter for months now. I keep hearing how easy it is, so why keep spending money on something I can make just as well at home? Plus, when you make it yourself you can really get creative and add lots of fun different types of spices and add-ins.
Here we go!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup roasted pistachios, shelled
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp canola oil (coconut would work too!)
- 2 tbsp milk or water
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Spread almonds and pistachios in an even layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 8 minutes, sifting halfway through. Nuts will be fragrant!
- Pour nuts into a food processor with blade attachment. Process on low for 2 minutes until the nuts form a gritty mixture.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula and continue processing 8 more minutes, scraping down the sides every 2 minutes.
- Add honey, oil (optional), milk/water, and a dash each of cinnamon and salt. You can also experiment here with other add-ins!
- Process on low until smooth. It will take at least 5 minutes for the nuts to release their oils and become creamy!
- Store in mason jars in the refrigerator for up to a month.