Sometimes you just don’t feel like cooking. But you always feel like eating. And there are odds and ends of things in the refrigerator, not really enough to make an entire meal out of, but definitely enough that you don’t have to actually do anything special. And there’s that Whole Foods hot bar that has so many pre-cut veggies that are incredibly overpriced but so convenient.
That’s where I found myself last night. Wanting to make something special, something blog-worthy, that would serve two of us (or one with leftovers). Preferably using up some of the endless mounds of zucchini noodles I had sitting in a huge tupperware in my fridge, but not just thrown on top of a salad. I didn’t feel like getting my hands all vinegar-y with massaged kale, either. But most of all, it had to be quick.
Ta-da! I bring to you a new one-
pot skillet-wonder: Mediterranean Zucchini Spaghettini! I’m a sucker for anything Mediterranean, so this recipe makes me a happy camper. All I really did was roast a few veggies and saute a huge mound of zucchini noodles and leafy greens. For spices, I made a dressing by mixing together freshly squeezed lemon, garlic, mustard and some Greek seasonings and tossing the veggies in the dressing before roasting.
The result was incredible- it made enough for two, so I had some and saved the rest for later this week. I bet it would be good cold as well! Seeing as this week our temps are up in the high-90s, cold salads are definitely necessary.
I also served mine over some quinoa with balsamic vinegar and a few cubes of tofu (leftover from last week).
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp each oregano and parsley
- 1 tsp greek or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- chopped red onion (to taste)
- 1/2 cup raw broccoli and cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 cups raw zucchini “noodles
- 3 cups kale and/or spinach
- 2 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp each kalamata olives and capers (optional)
- fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, mustard, and seasonings. Add the chickpeas, onion, broccoli/cauliflower, tomatoes and a few of the zucchini noodles to the bowl and stir until combined. (Adding a few zucchini noodles will give a few of them a nice crisp!)
- Drizzle about 2 tbsp lemon juice over top of the veggies.
- On a baking sheet lined with a Silpat (love my Silpat!), spread the mixture evenly and try to keep the chickpeas from touching each other. Bake for 30 -40 minutes or until crisped. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil on medium heat. Add the rest of the zucchini, kalamata olives and capers (if using), and balsamic vinegar. Cook until zucchini is tender, only about 2 minutes. Add spinach and kale and toss with zucchini until wilted. Add the quinoa and top with roasted veggies.
- Drizzle remaining lemon juice over top of skillet and some feta cheese.