Need a good way to use up all those broken tortilla chips in the bottom of the bag? Let’s be real… we’ve all tried to dunk some of these into a half-empty jar of salsa, only to drop the chip and end up with a ring of crusty salsa around our wrist…
Now you don’t have to deal with the
embarrassment disappointment of broken-chip and salsa defeat!
- Leftover blue corn tortilla chips, crushed into small pieces
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- spinach (about 1 cup, shredded)
- black olives, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- cheddar cheese or other mixed blend
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Layer some of the chips in bottom of dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the beans through the egg. Layer about half of the mixture over the chips.
- Layer half of spinach over bean mixture.
- Layer chicken and drizzle olive oil over top.
- Spread remainder of bean mixture over chicken, followed by more spinach.
- Spread black beans and black olives over the entire casserole.
- Add remaining chips and cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake 40 min covered, then 10 min uncovered until bubbling. (Optional: Add a final layer of chips and broil on high 1 minute until crisped!)
I served this up with some extra spinach and corn on the cob. Summer is THE BEST! Happy fourth of July weekend, to all of those traveling this weekend!