Need a quick lunch or snack idea to use up all of those farmers’ market tomatoes? Seriously, my kitchen is bursting with them! I need to make a big batch of marinara or something one of these days…
For anyone who likes caprese salad, this is a slight variation using leftover canned tuna and fontina cheese. Add a few sprigs of fresh basil and lunch is served!
Happy hump day!
- 1 beefsteak or large tomato, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup canned tuna (prepared with some parsley, mustard, and garlic powder)
- 5 basil sprigs
- 4 thin slices fontina cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Prepare tomatoes by placing on a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray or oil.
- Top each tomato slice with a sprig of basil, 1 tbsp tuna, and a slice of cheese.
- Broil on high for 2-3 minutes until cheese begins to bubble.
What’s your favorite tomato recipe?