Happy Friday! What was the best part of your week? I felt like I was “in the groove” this week in a lot of ways, and learning a lot about patience in some other ways! God has been blessing me over and over! I am so grateful for all of the ways He provides for me and reminds me of His love.
We are officially out of leftovers. After about two weeks of having more half-full tupperware and take-out containers in our fridge than we knew what to do with, we finally reached the point where I had nothing to feed Ben for dinner!
Luckily frozen chicken breasts were Buy one, Get one free at Harris Teeter. Score! I also had planned to make another batch of applesauce like I did the other week with Natalie. I didn’t even get freeze any because
we I (let’s be honest here) gobbled it up so fast! So I made another version of the peach version tonight when I got home from work. So relaxing to come home from a long day and just get to fool around in the kitchen.
Since dinner was being prepped at the same time, I just used some of the applesauce mixture (about 30 min into the cooking process) to ladle over these breaded chicken breasts. I also added a little dollop of apple salsa from a few weeks ago (which I had gotten a chance to freeze some of, luckily!), kale, and sharp cheddar cheese.
The result was a win… Ben gobbled this up! Speed of eating also may have had something to do with the fact that we were also watching a very exciting Duke vs. VCU game and some stress eating was involved. But let’s be real- cheese and apples make everything good.
Enjoy this as a light (but still satisfying and delicious) weeknight meal for pre-Turkey Day. I’m sure these would also be great with leftover turkey next Friday… just bake for 30 min instead of the full 50!
- 6 large chicken breasts, defrosted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, original flavor
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 c. applesauce (see link for the homemade recipe in text above!)
- ~1/3 c. apple salsa (see link in text above for my crock-pot recipe)
- sharp cheddar cheese (slices or shredded)
- Mix egg with milk and salt and pepper.
- Dredge defrosted chicken breasts in flour, followed by egg mixture. Shake of excess and dredge both sides in breadcrumbs. Place in a large casserole pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle kale in between chicken breasts and spray with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- Ladle about 2 tbsp applesauce mixture over each chicken breast, followed by about 1 tbsp apple salsa.
- Layer cheese on top of chicken.
- Drizzle olive oil over entire pan.
- Cook, covered with foil, for 35 min followed by uncovered for 15 minutes, or until internal temperature is 160 and cheese is golden brown.
- Allow to sit for 5 min before digging in!
Have a wonderful weekend!