Happy Monday! Even though our Panthers didn’t pull it out, my Blue Devils did! (knock on wood, as I am writing this post with 24.5 sec left on the game clock…)
Last night we had a potluck at our house with some good friends, including members of our small group and my dear bosom buddy Sarah and her husband Mike. I made BBQ pulled pork for sandwiches, and this (healthier) brussels sprout slaw to balance out all the wings n’ things. Although, I do have to admit- Tawny made these incredible vegan stuffed mushrooms that went like hot cakes! Soooo good.
If you’re lazy like I am, you buy brussels sprouts that are pre-shredded (try Trader Joe’s) and pre-cut butternut squash. I had a ton of brussels sprouts and no TJ’s within 10 miles, so I decided to go crazy and whip out the grating attachment to my food processor. If you don’t mind a bit of extra cleaning/scraping out the little bits of shaved brussels that get stuck in the lip, it’s really pretty simple to just use the same food processor that you would make the vinaigrette in. Kill two birds with one stone! Also, if you want you can sub out the lentils for some other protein like chickpeas or edamame. I like the lentils for being so small, though- they really bulk up the salad without overwhelming it.
The hummus vinaigrette is creamy and zesty from the orange and lime juice, and you can also customize the dressing to your own tastes (more olive oil, more vinegar, etc.). I also added some arils (pomegranate seeds, for the less fancy among us) and slivered almonds for a bit more crunch! Just make sure not to add them until just before serving so that the almonds don’t get too soggy!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- zest and juice of one orange
- juice of one lime
- 2-3 tbsp hummus (I used edamame hummus)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup arils (pomegranate seeds)
- 1 cup dry French lentils
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 deg. Mix together squash, onion, garlic, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Layer on a Silpat and roast for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a food processor with grater attachment (coarse shredding), shred brussels sprouts and combine with squash and onions. Set aside.
- In same processor with regular chopping attachment, make vinaigrette by processing orange, lime juice, hummus, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, and salt and pepper. Drizzle in remaining olive oil during processing. Add more olive oil, vinegar or a bit of water to your preference!
- Prepare lentils according to package directions. While still warm, add to brussels sprouts and squash mixture.
- Up to 2 hrs before serving, gently toss with vinaigrette.
- Just before serving, toss salad with arils and slivered almonds.
- Serve on top of pulled pork sandwiches for a little extra crunch, or with a poached egg on its own!