Happy Hump Day! Are you having a nice week? The weather here is warm again after a few really cold days last week… make up your mind, Durham! I guess there is a reason I never put away my summer OR winter clothes all year.
Anyone who knows me at all knows my obsession with sweet potatoes. My dentist actually asked me a few years ago if I ate a lot of them because the inside of my mouth was orange.
Umm… *sheepish smile*
Recently I came across the MOST LEGIT LIFE HACK EVER. Sweet potato toasts! You can actually slice a sweet potato and toast it in the toaster like bread! I obviously had to try it.
But let’s get to the point of this post. Twice-baked, stuffed sweet potatoes. Apparently I was in the mood for them after coming back from my weekend in Texas, where I was celebrating a dear friend’s bachelorette party.
But let’s be real. Anything sweet potato-related that is mixed with cream cheese, butter, and spices is craveable all year long. So here you have it! Twice-baked sweet potatoes, this time with ground turkey.
These have meat in them for all you hungry men like my husband out there, but you could easily make them vegetarian- just sub in lentils or leave it out completely! Goat cheese for topping is a must.
They can also be easily frozen to be reheated later on… perhaps for Thanksgiving? (OK that may be a bit TOO long… but in my mind the freezer stops time). Maybe try your next game day meal- your guests won’t be able to stop themselves!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 package lean ground turkey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 oz. spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, cumin, parsley
- 1/8 tsp each nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- avocado slices
- goat cheese
- Microwave potatoes on high for 10 minutes, turning every few minutes, or until fork tender. Slice lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out inside of potato, leaving a little potato in the skins.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium. Cook ground turkey on medium high heat until done, about 6-8 min. Add sweet potato filling, spinach, butter, cream cheese, milk, and all spices. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until well incorporated.
- Gently scoop filling into potato skins, and top with avocado slices and goat cheese, plus more parsley if desired.
- Bake at 350 deg, covered, for 20 minutes, then 10 mins uncovered until goat cheese has melted.
Hope you enjoy!