Happy July! The summer is rolling in FAST and that means HOT. After spending our afternoon at an outdoors event last night, I was craving something cool and light. I had a few extra tomatoes on hand and some balsamic glaze that I had picked up at TJ’s (sample stand impulse buy, anyone?) so this salad basically made itself. I threw in some leftover corn from the other night and also some brown rice to bulk it up a bit.
On the fourth we will be driving up to Michigan where hopefully we’ll get a reprieve from the heat (or at least the humidity!) This summer has been especially bad so far- not sure if that’s pregnancy-related or if I’m just becoming a normal human being?
P.S. I started using my pregnancy pillow and at first I was like, “this thing is a monster, how do I even use it?” but once I got the hang of it, life = changed. Not sure Ben likes having something the size of another human being in our bed with us!
Ok, on to the recipe!
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup chopped basil (about 8 leaves)
- 8 oz mozzarella pearls
- 1 ear corn, cooked (or ½ cup corn kernels)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- sea salt flakes
- black pepper
- optional: 1/3 cup cooked rice or other grain (I had leftover rice so just threw it in to sop up some of the dressing)
- optional: balsamic glaze
- In a large bowl, add tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, corn, and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients (through pepper). Drizzle on salad and toss gently.
- Top with additional sea salt, pepper, and balsamic glaze!
Hope you enjoy!