Cheesy Smashed Potatoes
Recipe Type: Casserole, Mashed Potatoes
Cheesy potatoes, bacon, butter, and more cheese… what more could you ask for? These “smashed” potatoes are so decadent, you won’t be able to stop at just one scoop!
- 3 lbs gold potatoes
- 1 package uncooked bacon
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 8 oz. container light sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse and pat dry potatoes and cut into quarters. Place in a large stockpot with about 1 tsp salt and add enough water so that potatoes are covered by about 1 inch.
- Bring potatoes to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet on medium heat, reserving bacon grease between “batches.” (There will be a good reason for this, I promise.)
- Set bacon aside to drain on a paper towel.
- When potatoes are done, drain and return to stockpot. Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency (I like them a little chunky!)
- Add butter, milk, mozzarella cheese, sour cream, and parmesan cheese. Stir in reserved bacon fat (see? I told you there was a good reason to save that good stuff). Add a bit more salt in and fresh pepper, to taste.
- Stir in minced garlic and parsley, reserving a bit of parsley for topping later!
- Crumble bacon and stir in about 3/4 of it, leaving the remainder for topping.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×13″ casserole dish with cooking spray and spread potatoes evenly. Top with peas, remaining bacon bits, and remaining parsley.
- Cover with foil and cook at 350 for 20 minutes, then 5 minutes without foil.