I literally thought of this recipe on my way home from work. Sitting in traffic on I-440 from Raleigh to Durham at 6:00pm is miserable. Even with Christmas tunes blasting on the radio. I am always starving, have about two billion things running through my head of what I have to get done when I get home, and there is literally NOTHING I can do but wait! It’s probably good for me. But it’s still torture. Last night as I was fighting the traffic past the Glenwood Ave exit (mall shoppers apparently ALL choose the same way to get to Crabtree Valley Mall) I was brainstorming the quickest appetizer I could whip up for our Bible study Christmas potluck. I wanted it to be something easy but still somewhat “fancy,” and I knew we wouldn’t have a lot of meat in the spread, so I decided on these! All they are is mini whole wheat bagels, with some Greek yogurt cream cheese spread, topped with some dried dill, capers, a dollop of spicy brown mustard, and a few strips of smoked salmon! I don’t typically buy smoked salmon, but I think I’m going to more often now. What an easy and tasty way to add some protein to a salad or sandwich without having to actually cook anything! I love the smoky flavor and spices they add to the package as well. I’m told that it’s pricey… but honestly, last night I was in too much of a rush to even look!
Can’t wait to make these again for my next last-minute holiday appetizer frenzy. You could also enjoy them the next morning for a quick and healthy breakfast, or lunch!
- 8 mini whole wheat bagels, halved
- 2 packages smoked salmon (about 8 oz. total)
- 1/2 container Greek yogurt cream cheese spread (or regular cream cheese, softened)
- 1-2 tsp dill
- 1/4 cup capers
- baby spinach, optional
- spicy brown mustard, optional
- Place bagel halves on a large cookie sheet.
- Spread each bagel half with about 1 tbsp cream cheese spread. Top with a few leaves of spinach, salmon, sprinkling of dill, mustard, and capers (you can personalize each to your liking!)
- Serve cold or bake at 375 deg for 5-7 min or until bagels are toasted.