“Sugar n’ Spice” Glazed Nuts
Recipe Type: Snacks, Holiday
Cuisine: Holiday, Christmas
Separate these addictive little treats into holiday bags to give as gifts to friends and family, fill up a festive bowl and serve at your next holiday party, or just eat them by the handful right out of the oven!
- 1 16 oz bag roasted salted almonds
- 1 16 oz bag cashews
- 1 12 oz bag pecan halves
- 1/2 12 oz bag salted peanuts
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-2 tsp kosher salt (more or less depending on whether your nuts are already salted)
- 2 heaping tsps ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (more to taste if you like it hot!)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- a Pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 300 deg. Generously spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray or use a Silpat (recommended for ease of cleaning).
- Mix all sugars and spices in a medium sized bowl until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps by using a whisk!
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and water until frothy but not forming peaks!
- Add all nuts in a large ziplock bag and shake to mix. Pour egg whites on top of nuts, close the top and shake, shake, shake! Nuts will be damp and fragrant.
- Little by little, sprinkle the sugar and spice mixture into the nut bag and continue shaking until well incorporated.
- Spread nuts in a single layer onto baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. The pan will have syrup in the bottom with each stir, but resist the urge to add more nuts- that syrup is melted brown sugar that will harden right up once the nuts cool!
- When finished baking, remove from oven and give one last toss. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer nuts to a plastic container or bowl to finish cooling. Break apart nuts into pieces if they stick together!
- Separate into holiday bags to give as gifts to friends and family, or fill up a festive bowl and serve at your next holiday party! (Or just eat them by the handful right out of the oven- they’re SUPER addictive when they’re warm!)