Can I just say… the colors of summer are absolutely spectacular. The combination of blue sky and green trees, ocean and sand, and July sunsets are breathtaking. And I will never get tired of the bright, saturated colors of summer produce. I’ve been obsessed with beets lately, and I just can’t get over that deep red that threatens to stain every single piece of clothing you own (but it’s SO worth it)!
I was feeling like making a big batch of roasted beet and veggie salad today, and while I had hoped to use wheat berries to copycat the Whole Foods version of their crunchy wheat berry salad, Kroger didn’t carry wheat berries! I settled for a mixture of barley and lentils- equally chewy, nutritious, and (almost) as exciting.
Roasting some chickpeas and broccoli with the beets also helps balance out the raw side of this salad from the grated carrots and broccoli stalks. And hey- I finally learned how to use the shredding function on my food processor! For some reason I always have to gear myself up to get out my processor (maybe cause it’s so hard to clean?), but it was worth the extra effort for the result. Instead of using those bagged grated carrots, grating the veggies yourself gives you a slaw that is much more tender. I also feel like it sucks up the juice of the vinaigrette much better!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can beets, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp greek seasoning (optional)
- 4 large carrots
- 2 heads of broccoli, separated into stalks and florets
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (about 1/2 cup)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5 mini tomatoes (or 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes)
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup barley, cooked to package directions
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (optional)
- Cook barley according to package directions. In last 20 minutes of cooking, add lentils until all grains are al dente. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Preheat oven to 375 deg.
- Spread rinsed chickpeas on a large baking pan and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add beets and red onions to pan with olive oil and garlic. Sprinkle garlic powder, greek seasoning, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bake at 375 deg for 40 minutes until chickpeas are crispy. Add broccoli florets and return to oven for 10 more minutes until tender. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a food processor using the slicing setting, grate carrots and broccoli stalks (not florets). Scrape into a large bowl. In the same processor using the multipurpose blade, add parsley, lemon juice, and tomatoes. Pulse until roughly chopped- about 2-3 pulses.
- Sitr parsley mixture into the shredded carrots and broccoli. Add raisins and green onions.
- In a small jar, combine both vinegars, mustard, honey and salt and pepper. Shake vigorously and pour over the salad.
- While still warm, add the barley/lentils and roasted vegetables to the salad. Top with goat cheese and toss to combine.
One key with this salad is to add the barley and roasted veggies while they’re still semi-warm; that way the barley really soaks up the lemon vinaigrette and the goat cheese gets this nice melty texture before you stick it in the fridge to marinate for a few hours.
Hope y’all had a very happy Fourth!