Who’s in favor of dinner that you throw in a pot and walk away? I got the idea from fANNEtastic food a few nights ago- she has the best ideas for easy, throw-together dinners! While I didn’t include the chicken breasts due to the woes of vegetarianism, I added a few leftover meatballs in Ben’s bowl and added a fried egg on top of mine for a little extra protein!
Sorry for the site being down yesterday- glad that smart husband of mine knows computers and was able to fix the problem in no time! Yay computer scientists.
The ingredients are simple, and you could add any frozen veggies you like. I settled on some ready-chopped broccoli/cauliflower/carrot from Harris Teeter, frozen peppers and onions from TJ’s, a can of chickpeas, kalamata olives, frozen spinach, and diced tomatoes. With some capers and a TON of spices (I should have spring cleaned my spice cabinet while I was at it!). Two thumbs up for Mediterranean food!
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped veggies (peppers, onions, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, or any other ones you want!)
- 2 cups frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives (pitted)
- 2 T capers
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, oregano, Greek seasoning, parsley
- 1/2 tsp each chili flakes, coriander, salt, and pepper
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water or veggie broth
- Feta, for serving
- Protein of choice
- In a large pan, heat oil on medium-high, then add onions and garlic to pan. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, followed by veggies, spinach, tomatoes, olives and capers, and all spices/liquid. Cook, stirring every so often, for about 3 minutes.
- Cover and reduce heat to low, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prior to serving, top with feta and extra salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve with protein of your choice! I added some leftover grains we had (barley/quinoa/lentil mixture) and some crusty crackers.
Don’t work too hard on this one! It’s meant to take away stress, not add it!
What are you up to this weekend?