Happy Friday, all! For all of you who are snowed in like we are on the East coast thanks to Jonas, hope you stayed dry and cozy today! I had to work this morning but the therapy team really pulled together and helped each other out to make sure we could all leave when we needed to! The roads weren’t great, but I was able to get home by mid-morning without a problem thanks to awesome tires on my new CRV. Nice to know it’s good in the snow!
Tomorrow it looks like it’s going to be another day inside… hope I can get a good workout video in so I don’t go crazy! Ben is vowing to run in the snow… he’s cray-cray. I went for a little walk around the neighborhood in rain boots and a raincoat today (welcome to the South, where we don’t own actual winter gear) and my feet were still sliding all over the place in the slush! Can’t imagine doing that in running shoes!
Ok, I will probably end up going with him.
In other news, we were out of food, except for the delicious Butternut Squash & Beet Salad I made yesterday in advance of the storm (picture here on my Instagram). But Ben does not live by beets alone, so it was time to make another crock pot chicken supper. I literally tossed every can of anything that semi-went together and wouldn’t taste awful… resulting in a BBQ style shredded chicken with spinach and kidney beans.
It wasn’t quite ready by dinnertime, so I finished it off (after shredding) in the oven with all the juices and some breadcrumbs/cheddar topping.
Ben loved it! Seems like any time I put next-to-no effort in, it’s a huge hit! I need to stop trying so hard.
Served with garlic naan (leftover), spinach, and couscous for crunch!
- 4 large, frozen chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed/drained and lightly mashed
- 1/4 cup good BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp each BBQ seasoning (optional) and cumin
- 1/2 tbsp each garlic powder and chili powder
- pinch of parsley, chili flakes (if you like it spicy)
- cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, and/or couscous, for topping
- Place all ingredients (except kidney beans) in large crock pot and set to high.
- Cook on high heat for 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return to pot and stir in mashed kidney beans.
- Preheat oven to 350. Pour chicken mixture into casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray and top with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake, covered loosely, for 20 mins, then uncovered for the last 5 min or until bubbly.
- Cool at least 5 minutes before serving with couscous and spinach.
Happy weekend! Stay warm and safe!