Can I get an Amen?
Last night we hosted small group. Our house was packed! Almost everyone showed up minus two, plus a visiting mother-in-law. When you host a small group made up of dietitians, physical therapists and taller-than-average males, you better know that the snacks have to be good.
And when you have members who are either vegan, gluten-free, or vegetarian, you better be EXTRA creative because one can only make so many snacks that cater to so many different diets!
We be fancy. And so, I was on the hunt for a delicious yet vegan & gluten-free dessert that wouldn’t require going out to get too many extra ingredients.
I stumbled upon this recipe for sesame and sea salt dark chocolate brownies that looked perfect. No extra add-ins that no one has actually heard of, and the rest of the ingredients looked pretty standard. I’d actually been meaning to try to make something sweet that used tahini (which is basically like a less sweet PB). When I didn’t have an ingredient listed, I substituted with something else (e.g. veg oil and applesauce for coconut oil, since I don’t like the taste of it), and regular salt vs. sea salt. I also decided to throw in some extra (vegan) chocolate chunks for extra melty goodness.
The result? A hit! These were just about gone before my Guinness Cheddar Dip was even started, and when boys choose chocolate over beer, you know it must be good!
Vegan or not, I know you’ll love the taste of these fudgy double chocolate brownies. Thanks to Jodi for the inspiration for this new recipe!
- 1 cup gluten free or oat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup water at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chunks
- sea salt and extra sesame seeds to finish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg and line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper (I used a cake pan because that was the closest in size that I had!)
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sesame seeds, baking powder, and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flax seeds and water. Stir in oil, applesauce, maple syrup, and tahini.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine well. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Batter will be very thick- spread in prepared dish and use a spatula to help the batter reach the sides.
- Sprinkle with sea salt (optional).
- Bake for 20 mins or until set around edges, then cool completely prior to slicing.
- Sprinkle with additional sesame seeds if desired.
We have a fun weekend planned- dinner and going to a Celtic Woman concert tomorrow night! What do you have planned?
Have a great weekend, friends!