Wow, it’s been a while! Just popping in for my (embarrassed to admit) FIRST post of 2018!
How is your year shaping up?
Now that it’s almost spring, I wanted to kick off the season with one of my newest favorites: Marrakesh carrots. I got the idea for this from a cookbook I got for my birthday last year called Bowl and Spoon, written by Sara Forte, the author of The Sprouted Kitchen blog. I guess I’ve had a thing for turmeric lately, because last week I made a version of my sister’s Moroccan Red Lentil Soup which has a ton of it. I swear every mixing spoon in my kitchen is now orange.
I mixed things up a little with this recipe, especially in the dressing, where I added in some tahini and red wine vinegar. Plus more spices because I can’t help it. Finished with a cumin-spiked yogurt sauce and feta.
You could serve this for lunch or as a side for dinner. The chickpeas and tahini dressing, plus the protein in the yogurt sauce, give it enough staying power for a meal. I also served ours with warm pita!
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs whole carrots, rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 red onion, chopped roughly
- 5-6 green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup raisins
- For yogurt sauce (optional): Plain yogurt, lemon juice, cumin
- Chopped pistachios
- Crumbled feta
- Use food processor (shredding disc) to shred carrots. Set aside in a big bowl.
- In same food processor (S blade), pulse red onion, green onion, cilantro, and a drizzle of olive oil. Add chickpeas and pulse 2-3 times until roughly chopped. Add mixture to carrots.
- To make dressing, pulse together remaining ingredients and pour over salad.
- Stir in raisins and toss well.
- For yogurt sauce, whisk together 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, and a pinch of cumin. Add water as needed to thin. Set aside.
- Chill salad until ready to serve, then top with yogurt sauce, chopped pistachios, feta, and more cilantro.
Have a great week!